Saturday, August 25, 2007

EMAIL UPDATE....

Here is an email I wrote to a bunch of people earlier today I just wanted to post it.....

I hope you all have been having a great summer! I know I have been having a life changing time here in Australia. It has been pushing my limits more than I could have imagined. Not the same as if I was in a third world country but at times it almost seems like I'm not on earth anymore. No matter how much people say that Australia is Americanized I would never, ever compare it to America in any way shape or form.

Right before I left I thought to myself, "you know what at least they speak english and it seems like america." Boy was I wrong, you could say they speak english here but half the time it's a shortened version of all of the words that we use and all of their aussie sayings. And it definitly does not seem like america, sure they have McDonalds (not the same by the way) and Subway but they also don't have a lot of things. Like Ketchup, mexican food, Graham Crackers, and a bus system that actually comes on time. Oh do I miss Ketchup!

But in a way I have come to love it here, because they have so many things that America doesn't have like sweet chili sauce, nutri grain, wheat bix, the most amazingly beautiful people I have ever come to meet. Australian's don't only go out of there way to say G'day they also go out of their way to make you feel more at home than you ever thought possibe, especially when you are missing home the most. My hostmum when I came home the other day, after having probably the worst day here so far, proceeded to tell me that she had gotten me a sushi roll. Now this may not seem like much to you but to me sushi is one of my favorites and I had quickly mentioned this in my delirious, jet lagged, had just been on the plane for 20+ hours and up for two days straight state. It just goes to show my how much she wanted to make me feel at home. Which I do here because my hostmum and roomates are just so wonderful to me.

So even though I have been having this life-changing wonderful experience half way across the world, I miss home more than anything: I miss my parents and my brothers, I want to hug my best friends right now, I miss buses that actually come on time instead of 45 min late or 15 min early, and I miss driving...but more than that its a feeling that I just can't place. I have only been here a little over a month but time is flying...I know that when it comes time to leave this place just as I was when I was leaving the states I will be moved beyond words.

I miss each and every one of you! Keep me updated...I love the emails I have been getting, because I am so badly trying to stay in the loop.

Love,
Krystin

ps. if you want to send me anything I know i would love it! =] Oh but nothing that can't go through customs ;)

For Packages:
Krystin Lay
ASC - Wesley Institute
5 Mary Street
Drummoyne, NSW 2047
Australia

and for Letters its:
Krystin Lay
Unit 3 "Maquarie"
247 J Burwood Road
Concord, NSW 2137
Australia

xoxo

No comments: