Sunday, October 28, 2007

Australians are artists...

So for the past 3 and a half months, on Sunday and Monday nights, promptly at 7:30 my hostfamily and I sit down in front of the T.V. entranced for an hour. Not because Australian T.V. is all that great, or because we only have 5 channels here [which makes me feel oh so much at home] but because I have come to see Australians, in general, as Artists...

When I tell you what show we watch here you are going to laugh because back home it is not what it is here. I have become entranced with Australian Idol. And I am not just a fan of the show and think that one of the guys on the show are attractive [which many are] but because of the way that they handle the arts here. From the beginning of the show you wouldn't think that much is different from American Idol, because they have the same opening music, and lookalikes to Ryan Seacrest [even though they are way funnier] and they still have those 2 weeks of the crappy auditions and take way to long to get to the good people. But it is apparent when the first true contestant walks into the auditions with their guitar, or they have a piano waiting for them. You would think that they are lying when they say that they write their own songs because they are so amazing you wouldn't believe that a 16 year old could write them. But this is only the begining...

Ever week the contestants and judges ceased to amaze me because they are so serious about this, ok they do have their parts where you wonder why they even said that, but then there are the times that make me hate Paula and Randy and just want them to actually speak the truth and not give the contestants the crap advice that they give them. The contestants on the show have been the most amazing bunch of artists/singers/songwriters that I have ever heard...and I cannot wait until I get to hear their songs.

Then tonight I watched the Arias [which are comparable to our Grammys] and I found so many more amazing australian artists which just adds to my idea that Australia has some of the most amazing unknown artists that I have heard in a long time. [check out Missy Higgins, or the John Buttler Trio...because I have only one word for them AMAZING]

Your probably wondering how this ties in with anything, but I have also come to know these artist on a personal basis. No, I'm not talking about the Australian Idols [even though we have tried unsuccesfully to get on the show] but I am talking about the many muso's that I go to school with at The Wesley Institute. Everytime I see a drama performance or a music performance or just hear them practicing as I am waling out of campus, it just never ceases to amaze me how blessed I have been to be around these wonderful people for this time, and how talented these students are.

I guess I just want to say that I love them....

No comments: